Sunday, February 12, 2012

And a passion gets killed...


Danish was a musical prodigy. He had this talent of composing music in minutes. Give him any set of lyrics and he will have the complete tune and orchestration in his mind after half an hour. He was what I called ridiculously talented. So when he got a call from Berklee College of music extending an invitation to enrol in their undergraduate programme, he was ecstatic. But his elation did not last for too long because he was unfortunately born to the 'typical Indian parents'. They were completely against his going abroad to pursue something as ‘bizarre’ as music. He protested, he cried but his cries went to deaf ears. They beat him, blackmailed him and admonished him. In the next month he was packing his bags for an obscure engineering college because his parents thought engineering was where prudence lied.
This is something that has been widely discussed everywhere that how Indian parents don’t let their children pursue their dreams and instead push them to chase some fields which they consider ‘good'. So I’m not going to write another passage over it. I have only one thing to say: Any nation is driven by the passions of the youth. And what I’ve noticed in our country is: We do what we are good at for free, and we are paid for what we are not good at.  Till this change, India will continue having a growth which is stunted.

2 comments:

  1. Read. Should I agree or should I criticize?

    There is a story of a ball which was half red and half white. Those who were standing on red side of ball were sure that ball was red. Those who stand on white side of ball were sure that ball was white.

    Both were right.

    Someday try to climb a mountain. As you will climb up and up, periphery of horizon shall become wider and wider.

    What you saw at the age of 20 is not the same which you will see at the age of 21 or 50. And yet what you see at age of 20 is real and what you see at age of 50 is also real.

    A psychiatrist Freind once told me that there are many things which we see exactly opposite of what they are. Then he gave me example of some things which I was seeing exactly opposite of what they were actually.

    Try to find out if there are anything which you may be seeing exactly opposite of what they are.

    Wish you good luck to both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very thought provoking remark sir. But I think one of the greatest ability of human being is to perceive things. And everybody's perception of things is distinctive depending upon the age, his upbringing, his beliefs etc. There are facts which are static. And there is a 'perception of facts' which is dynamic. An apple falling from a tree was perceived ordinary by others, but Newton perceived it as extraordinary.
    I'm stimulated by your thought. I will try to widen my scope and see whether I can have a different perception of things that I already have an opinion about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete